Associate Legal Counsel
Square Enix is seeking a newly qualified solicitor (NQ March 2019 or September 2018 Qualification) to help manage legal matters for its video game development and publishing operations in Europe. We work at the cutting edge of technology with some of the greatest IPs in the world such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Life Is Strange, Just Cause, Deus Ex, Space Invaders and a new collaboration with Marvel Inc. for The Avengers. This position will work closely with the executive teams, development studios and commercial teams, to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues across a broad range of contracts, agreements and intellectual property matters.
- Draft, negotiate, review and interpret a wide variety of contracts including EULAs, software licenses, content licenses, vendor agreements and probably something new every day.
- Partner with business executives to discuss and implement best practices in the digital world, and to creatively solve issues.
- Provide legal guidance throughout the company to minimise legal risk while helping teams accomplish their goals.
- Research and analyse legal issues, and especially keep abreast of new and changing laws affecting online business (e.g., data privacy, loot boxes, etc.).
- Review content of games and marketing materials for copyright, trademark, publicity or any other issues.
- Liaise and work with Square Enix legal teams around the world.
- Occasional business travel.
Sales, brand and marketing functions; General Managers and others at development studios, licensing and merchandising teams; customer services, online team, QA and localisation; Square Enix legal team in the United States.
Senior Legal Counsel
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree level of education and GDL and/or LPC passed (as applicable).
- Private Practice training with experience in IP/Media related matters.
- NQ post qualification experience.
- Previous work experience in software or video games.
- International experience advantageous.
- In-house post qualification experience within an entertainment/IP based or media company.
Competencies, Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work across multiple projects, with changing requirements and priorities and to tight deadlines.
- Strong drafting and project execution skills.
- Very customer-focused in outlook.
- Detail oriented without losing sight of the big picture.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to adapt styles depending on context.
- The ability to concisely distil and summarise complex ideas.
- Strong familiarity with trends in the video game/entertainment industries and online/mobile/digital worlds.
- Good organisation and the ability to effectively prioritise tasks
- Smart, eager and proactive with reliable judgment and a great sense of humour.
- Japanese or another European language advantageous.
Follows industry trends and developments, valid passport for international travel.
Please note that Square Enix does not accept speculative candidate submissions from recruitment agencies.